When I look back at the decision making process that Darin and I went through, the process which has now brought us so close to a departure date, I have little doubt that Darin felt a call and responded to this call. Yet, when I go back over the different thought processes I went through to get us to this point, I realize that it has been all about me, which might explain why I am now suffering from some "buyer's remorse". It's not that my motivations for moving were necessarily wrong in themselves-I hope that Darin and I will be closer as a couple, I hope that our family will be closer and will do more together, I hope that Tyson will thrive in this new environment, I hope that our family will be able to reach out and help those that we come into contact with, I hope that Darin will be home more often and able to be a bigger part of our family life. Yet as we get closer, these hopes seem to be such small reasons to go. It's not like moving to a new country is goi...
One of the first things we will have to acquire when we move to South Africa is transportation for our family. When we spent time there in 2008, we were fortunate to have made a connection with a lovely couple that was going to be visiting the USA for almost the same amount of time that we would be in South Africa. We were able to rent their vehicle from them for a much better rate than we ever would have found through a rental agency. To make this deal even sweeter, the car was an automatic. Yes, I am one of those people who has never mastered driving a stick shift. I've tried, many times in fact, but as many people know, sometimes it's just enough that I am able to keep my automatic on the road! There are many, MANY reasons why it would be better for us to by a car with a manual transmission. First off, they cost way less to buy and maintain. Automatics are not very prevalent in South Africa, which means the ones they have cost more and it's harder to get parts for them...
We just had such a super dinner. ALL of us ate happily and greedily, which is no small thing when you consider our sweet Jori refuses to eat about 90% of the meals we prepare! So what has left us all with our happy stomachs?? Homemade Flour Tortillas! We found the recipe in the Wycliffe International Cookbook. I have a couple other recipes along, but they call for lard, something we did not have on hand. The Wycliffe recipe called for lard or oil, something we always keep in our pantry. Here is the recipe. You must try them. I am hoping we can make some to freeze and use for quesadillas, but am waiting to hear from a friend about the best way to freeze these beauties! We only made ½ a recipe tonight because we weren’t sure how they’d turn out, but next time we will definitely make a full batch! We all wanted more! Flour Tortillas Combine 4 cups flour and 2 teaspoons salt. Cut in 6 tablespoons shortening or oil (I just used a fork to mix it together and break up the giant clumps) Ad...
Comments