Our gourmet supper

A couple weeks ago, I put together a meal that I am still thinking about. I know, nothing like patting myself on the back, but for real, it was good. I told my mom I’d pass it on and thought if I was going to the trouble of typing it up for her, I might as well post it on the blog. You’re welcome.

Blue Chicken
This recipe is from Rob Toornstra, pastor of Sunnyslope Christian Reformed Church, my old stomping grounds located in Salem, Oregon.

2 Tbsp margarine
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
1 cup sour cream
4 oz blue cheese
1 tsp salt
Dash pepper
1 clove minced garlic
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp paprika

Melt margarine in frying pan; add chicken, brown on both sides. Set in a baking dish. Keep the frying pan hot, add the remaining ingredients and stir until melted and blended (mixture will bubble quickly). Pour over chicken and bake for 1 hour at 350 F (180 C). If the sauce has separated when you remove it from the oven, whisk together.

*I only made this for the grown-ups as this dish was a bit rich for the little ones (in taste and $$)

Ranch Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes
Milk
Butter
Salt
Cream Cheese or Smooth Cottage Cheese
Ranch Seasoning

Peel and boil potatoes. Add milk, butter, salt, cream cheese and ranch seasoning to taste. Beat well.

*we could have forgone the ranch seasoning as most of us used the sauce from the chicken on our potatoes, but these potatoes made some awesome leftovers.

Ranch Carrots
1 packet ranch seasoning
¼ cup butter
¼ cup brown sugar
16 oz baby carrots, cooked

Heat butter and brown sugar on stove. Add carrots and seasoning. Heat until carrots are well glazed.

*We did not use a full package of ranch seasoning, which is why we had some left for the potatoes. I also used regular big carrots, all cut up by hand, and I’m sure the butter and brown sugar didn’t equal ¼ cup.

Balsamic Cabbage
In all honesty, I never imagined myself cooking cabbage (or spinach, or butternut, or pumpkin for that matter). However, now I do and it is good stuff. I cooked up some cabbage, thought it was blah, and decided to add balsamic vinegar. Thankfully it totally worked!

Sauté some onion and garlic in olive oil or butter. Add a bunch of finely chopped cabbage. Cook until it gets a bit soft. Toss in some salt and pepper. Pour in some balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!

Oriental Cabbage Salad
Medium Head of Cabbage, chopped fine
8 green onions, chopped with half the greens
1 cup peanuts
½ cup sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar (or plain vinegar)
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Blend dressing in blender (or shake in a jar). Can prepare dressing the day before, but must be blended again before adding to the cabbage. Mix all together and refrigerate 2-3 hours before serving. ½ hour before serving stir in a package of uncooked, crushed Ramen (2 minute) noodles.


I normally don’t make so many veggies, but one of our aunties is a vegetarian, so I've been trying to make sure there is enough food for her to eat. In the process, I’m learning that most of us are happy to fill up on veggies, except for Tyson and Jori. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connection and Community

Family Fun Friday

More thoughts on motivation