10 years!

Today is our 10 year anniversary. December 22, 2001, on a sunny California day, Darin and I exchanged our vows in front of family and friends in my old church in Bellflower. Today we celebrated ten years of marriage on what started out as a sunny South African day.  The day ended with some wind and rain, but that didn’t put a damper on our day.

We started our day out in separate beds. Last night Tyson expressed a deep desire to have a sleepover with his buddy so Darin spent the night with him and tossy, turny Jori slept with me. She also woke me up before 6, which was not how I had envisioned starting our anniversary morning, but she soon joined Tyson and Darin downstairs and let me sleep a little bit more.

We took some time in the morning to get caught up on some chores, but then it was time to relax. Darin and I spent a lot of time reading and the kids alternated between watching TV and swimming. I had planned to do some school as well, but as with so many of our plans as of late, school did not happen.

One thing that we had not planned on doing was taking a trip to the veterinarian, but that is where we found ourselves at 4 in the afternoon. Tabitha, the cat we are watching in Pretoria, had been acting a bit strange the past few days and after talking with her owners we decided to take her in and have her checked out. Fortunately, Tabitha seems to be fine. Unfortunately, Darin’s allergies have hit an all time low, or would it be high, after spending just a few minutes in the waiting room of the vets office.

We headed back home and Darin was ready to crash. That put me on dinner duty and for something special I made “fancy” French Toast, using my sister Laurie’s recipe. Well, I used most of the recipe but did have to tweak the syrup a bit as there isn’t corn syrup in this country. So instead of homemade vanilla syrup we topped our toast with caramel sauce to go along with the fresh strawberries and whipped topping. Yum!

Now it is a little after 8. Darin said he is at about 40% of his normal health. Thankfully the kids are in bed and the cat is perking up. This may not seem like a super fun way to spend our 10th anniversary, but if we were in the states, there is a very good chance we’d either be in the car or on a plane heading to one of our families, so for us the day was just fine. Not that we wouldn’t want to see family at the end of the long car ride or plane ride, but I think this might be the first anniversary we’ve had where we haven’t been traveling! Poor Darin seems to be fading again, so it’s time for me to see if I can find something to make him feel any better. Happy Anniversary to us!

Comments

Anonymous said…
happy anniversary to you both... wowser...10 years.. treasure your time and years together..keep remembering that your family is a gift.. treat it as such.. love you laurie

Popular posts from this blog

Connection and Community

Family Fun Friday

Sax-y and I know it