Thank you Wycliffe International Cookbook!


We just had such a super dinner. ALL of us ate happily and greedily, which is no small thing when you consider our sweet Jori refuses to eat about 90% of the meals we prepare! So what has left us all with our happy stomachs?? Homemade Flour Tortillas! We found the recipe in the Wycliffe International Cookbook. I have a couple other recipes along, but they call for lard, something we did not have on hand. The Wycliffe recipe called for lard or oil, something we always keep in our pantry. Here is the recipe. You must try them. I am hoping we can make some to freeze and use for quesadillas, but am waiting to hear from a friend about the best way to freeze these beauties! We only made ½ a recipe tonight because we weren’t sure how they’d turn out, but next time we will definitely make a full batch! We all wanted more!

Flour Tortillas
Combine 4 cups flour and 2 teaspoons salt.
Cut in 6 tablespoons shortening or oil (I just used a fork to mix it together and break up the giant clumps)
Add 1 cup water

Form a ball. Add more water if necessary (which it was for us), until bowl is clear of all dough. Knead well on floured surface and make balls the size of an egg (ours were a bit smaller than an egg and next time we will make them a bit larger than an egg!) Let stand for 15 minutes. Roll thin with a rolling pin (or container of cooking spray if you don’t have a rolling pin) to about the size of a salad plate (ours were like the size of the smallest plate in your cupboard, a tea saucer). 

Place in hot UNGREASED skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on one side. Turn and cook 1 minute longer. Makes 2 dozen.

These were so good. We were all waiting for the next one to come out of the pan. The kids were actually sad when their 3 were gone. I made guacamole and it turned out ok. I used lemon juice from a lemon we picked off a tree, one semi ripe avocado, a bit of chopped onion, some minced garlic and salt.
Seriously, such a good meal. Company worthy even! So come out and see us and we’ll make you some homemade tortillas : ) They’ll only cost you the price of a plane ticket, which is totally worth it. Just ask Jori, the child who finally ate a full meal with her family!

Comments

Anonymous said…
can't wait to try the tortillas... love you so much.. got to see kinley today.. kelsey was hogging her.. all day hoopla downtown.. molans had 14 games and more tomorow.. actually all the molans had 23 games if you count calvin and ethan/austin.. good times.. off to bed.. xox laur
retha said…
The way I understand it tortillas are of Mexican origin. Reading this recipe,I'm always struck by how similar that food and Indian food is.
To get a meal a whole family enjoys is always a good thing.
my mouth is salivating right now. I can't wait to try these. I think anything wrapped in a store bought tortilla is good. I can't hardly imagine what a homemade one tastes like. Thanks for sharing!
So I just made these. The whole time I was thinking (and grumbling outloud) that these better be good because they are taking forever. I think I even threw in a very sarcastic "thanks a lot Jonna'. Plus they smoked up the house because I used too much flour while cooking. Then I tasted them and felt guilt for all my complaining. I ate one plain and the others I made into quesadillas with havarti cheese and tomato basil sausage. SO SO SO GOOD!!!!! Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Connection and Community

Family Fun Friday

Sax-y and I know it