Baking fun with Jonna

I thought I'd hop on here and share a few recipes that we've enjoyed over the last few weeks.

First, my mother-in-law shared the recipe for Hip Hugger Bars, which are one of Darin's faves.

Hip Hugger Bars

Cream: 1/2 Cup oleo (I used baking margarine, Grandma Karen says to use butter) and 1 cup brown sugar

Beat in: 1 egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups oatmeal

Take out: 3/4 cup of the above mixture and spread/press the rest into a greased 9 x 13 pan

In sauce pan: Put 1 cup chocolate chips, 1 TBSP butter (I used baking margarine), 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 tsp salt and cook until chocolate melts. ADD 1 tsp vanilla

Spread: chocolate mixture over oatmeal mixture THEN DROP the 3/4 cup mixture you set aside on top of chocolate by the spoonful

Bake: 350 F/180 C until Golden Brown. This took us 45 minutes, but Grandma Karen said 20-25 minutes was her usual bake time.


This next recipe is from the Wycliffe International Cookbook, which was recommended to me by Darin's Aunt Rose before we moved overseas. We use a lot of recipes from this book, but this was the first time I have made this bread.

English Muffin Loaf

Combine:
3 cups white or wheat flour (750 ml)
2 TBSP Dry Yeast (30 ml)
1 TBSP Sugar (15 ml)
2 tsp Salt (10 ml)
1/4 tsp baking soda (1 ml)

Add and Beat Well:
2 1/2 cups (620 ml) HOT (about 120 F/50 C) MILK (alternatively you can add 2/3 cup (170 ml) milk powder to the dry ingredients above and then beat in 2/1/2 cups hot water)

Stir in to make a stiff batter:
2 1/2-3 cups flour (620-750 ml) ( I mixed with a big spoon and ended up having to use my hands to get all the flour mixed properly)

Pour (I had to scoop and then spread) into two greased loaf pans sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes (I put them in my oven with a pan of boiling water for about 30 minutes) Bake at 400 F/205 C for 25 minutes. Remove from pans, cool and SERVE TOASTED.

Cinnamon Rolls

I also made Cinnamon Rolls this week, which also required yeast. This made me a bit nervous as I am pretty sure the last time I had made a yeast dough I ended up with two small loaves of bread that had the density of stone. However, I was successful and my children said that these rolls tasted like America. A very high compliment from them. The recipe we used was from The Money Saving Mom blog. We doubled the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture just like Crystal and her family do and we loved the frosting. I did use real butter for these, so can't say if baking margarine would work. The recipe can be found by clicking HERE and while they are called Easy Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls, I made the dough by hand and it was just fine.

Lemon Cookies

If you like the taste of lemon, these cookies are for you! I first made them about 8 years ago, and hadn't made them in quite a long time. However, we had lemons on hand and these sounded really good to me. I posted the recipe back in 2012, but you can find it by clicking HERE or searching this blog for "lemon". There are several other recipes in this blog post and I would still recommend them all in 2020.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connection and Community

Family Fun Friday

Sax-y and I know it